Like it? Share it…
I love Christmas. It’s my favourite time of year! And whilst it’s fun to do all the traditional Christmassy things like singing carols and baking gingerbread, it’s also great opportunity to try some Christmas-themed science and STEM projects too.
Bonus: some double as cute homemade science-themed Christmas gifts or decorations!
Christmas Science Activities on Go Science Girls
Here are a few Christmas science experiments and activities we’ve tried on Go Science Girls so far.
More Christmas STEM projects from around the web
These ideas all sound awesome – I can’t wait to try them!
- Did you know you can use Poinsettia leaves as a pH indicator? OMG – for reals! Love this idea from Teach Beside Me.
- Check out this binary Christmas ornament idea. Sounds like a fun hands-on intro to this side of coding. From Little Bins for Little Hands.
- Give your kids a few basic household items or craft supplies, and challenge them to make an ornament holder. From Schooling a Monkey.
- If you end up with too many candy canes, see if you can dissolve the stripes off one. From Playdough to Plato.
- If you’re like me, you always have a bunch of old Christmas cards stashed away. See if you can build with them! How high can you go? From Little Bins for Little Hands.
- Light up cards and gift tags are so awesome – yes you need to buy a few supplies beforehand, but talk about a “Wow!” factor. These hand-drawn light up Christmas cards from Mama Smiles are adorable, and these printable light up tags from Left Brain Craft Brain are cute too.
- You can make light up Christmas ornaments too! How cute is this soft circuit light-up tree from Teach Beside Me, and this little standing ‘circuit tree’ from STEAM Powered Family would look great all lit up on a windowsill.
- Little Bins for Little Hands has a couple of cute crystal gingerbread ideas. I love how she used a cookie cutter to make these Borax crystal gingerbread men, and her salt crystal gingerbread men look like they’re covered in mini cubes of sugar!
- This is cool – cut a 3D paper Christmas tree! From Mama Smiles.
- Turn your Magnatiles into little magnetic Christmas trees! From And Next Comes L.
Even MORE Christmas ideas
You might like to check out some of the projects on my Christmas Science and STEM for Kids pinterest board. I’m always pinning new ideas I love over there!