My kids love to play with magnets and hence I decided to teach them the magnetic force with an experiment.
Steps involved in making the magnet maze game
- Long Magnet
- White Paper
- Markers, pencils, and crayons
- Steel balls small in size
You can try getting Stix markers and steel balls and magnetic rods from Geomag (these are affiliate links). You can also use similar items if available at home.
Find our review for Geomag products
Steps to follow
- Draw the maze with a clear path on a paper. You can also choose online maze and print them. Allow kids to color them and decorate.
- Place the magnet below the paper and steel ball on top.
- When the magnet is moved it will pull the steel ball on the top and make it move as well.
We tried with multiple combinations of mazes. Each time, I tried to increase the complexity by adding different routes and then let the kids find out the right way out. The kids loved them 🙂
Initially, kids will find it tricky to understand how the steel ball rolls by moving the magnet. But once they get a hold on it, then they will start playing maze crazily. I have experienced this personally with my Tisha who is 3.5 years old.
She also tried with different colors and designs to add more fun. She played with crayons and colors having loads of fun.
You can see her moving the magnet to see the ball rolling above.
After school, my elder one Pritika 6 years old played with the maze. But she tried to analyze the design and then figured out a traditional maze design. I helped her with some images from online to inspire her to get some ideas.
Several IT programs like Picmonkey can be used to design maze online.
Get more physics fun activities from the list given below
- Magnet science experiment– In this experiment kids guess the items that will get attracted to magnets and will make a table to examine the hypothesis.
- Refraction of light
- Balance scale experiment to compare the weights
- Basic pulley construction
Follow us on Pinterest
- Go Science Girls
- Fun Science for Girls
- STEM for Girls
We would love to have you in our forum. Join us and subscribe to our newsletter. Will send you updates about our latest activities.