By the time you kids grow to the age of 5 or 6 they will now start going to Kindergarten. My elder one is in that age range 5+ yrs and hence we have started learning science in a fun way with DIY experiments at home.
You can find them here and we would want you to make this page favorite to check out and help your kid understand science. The best thing you could do is, quickly subscribe to our page and we will send you all activities at once it gets uploaded.🙂
Fun Science Activities for 5 & 6 Year Olds
Want even more science fun?
At this moment if you are looking for more activities, then read below. I have collected some for your 5 – 6-year-old kids. Try this on weekends or holidays. They are easy at the same time knowledgeable.
- Friction and inertia the coin way – It’s the beginning to teach the fundamentals of science and you can quickly help students understand friction and inertia. All you need is coins, dinner knife, and a table. See how and when coin topples and learn Newton’s first law. For more details Steve Spangler Science.
- The connection between color and taste – Have you ever thought about this? Does food colors have a taste? Then why does juice made from the same fruit but added different food color taste different? Lets us find this out with fruit juice, and three different food colors using the experiment described in the link given below.
For more details Science Buddies.
- Ice as a magnifying glass – It is now possible to make a magnifying glass just out of ice cubes. All you need is to freeze water and make it ice. Teach refraction and magnification through this experiment. Get ready with things to be witnessed as magnified with your new magnifying glass. For more details Schooling a monkey.
- Color changing slimes. Yes, in a thermochromic way and you can imagine how much excitement it will add to your kid. Every kid loves to play with slime and in fact, they are crazy about it. Source: Left Brain Craft Brain.
- Earthquake experiment – Two cloth strips and earth’s crust will allow you to teach children about the earthquake. Let kids know about the critical earthquakes with a simple experiment.For more details The owl teacher
- Life Over Cs has given the best way to let your kid explore density. Allow her to look for the items in the pantry to try this experiment. Layered potions they are.
- Water Clock – In the digital world, kids might not have heard about the water clock. But it is a clock similar to sundial which helped ancient people to know the time. This can be made at home with just 2 water bottles. Drill, timer, glue gun, straw, and a sharpie marker. Let them enjoy finding the time on their own looking at the flow of water from one bottle to another. For more details Teach beside me.
- Buggy and Buddy has presented this great craft idea in science allowing your 5 – 6-year-old to make chromatography butterflies getting separated with markers.
- Even more, is available on chromatography. You can check Kids Minds that have just not bought five exciting ways to work around with chromatography. The best part is the sprinkles one!
- Surface tension with a paper clip – Surface tension concept is very important in science and few kids find it confusing. So let us do this experiment. Use some paper clips and place them in a bowl of water and it will sink. Now, take them out and bend it to make them in shapes to show them floating in the water. Do you want to teach kids in the right way? Continue reading from the link below. For more details Raising lifelong learners.
- There’s Just One Mommy has changed the color of grape juice with simple chemistry. Now you can also try.Making parachutes with egg is now possible. So do not worry about remaining Easter eggs. This great experiment is posted by JDaniel4’s Mom.
- Slime and magnet – what is the connection – Teaching magnetism is a really difficult task for teachers. But you can show the magnet and practically explain to make kids understand better. Does liquid get attracted to a magnet? No, I am not joking this magnetic slime, does it? Glue and iron oxide powder are the two main ingredients for making this magic. For more details Frugal Fun4 boys
- Concept of light, symmetry, and reflection – Easy way to teach the main science concept light and reflection is with the help of kaleidoscope. It is fun to make one with kids and with inexpensive things each kid can have one. Just collect tissue roll empty, thick sheets, white cardstock, bending straw, scissors, and cutter. Let’s explore the way to make kaleidoscope in this section. For more details Buggy and Buddy.
- The Chaos and the Clutter had really made a great and simple fold mountain. This is really amazing and the foolproof way to demonstrate earth science for kids.
- JDaniel4’s Mom is back again with a great experiment to show how to control water flow?
- Laughing Kids Learn has shown the easiest way of using science and now it is easy to blow balloons.
- For the art loving kids, Rhythms of Play have given an excellent opportunity. Yes, the experiment that explains about mediums and their resistance to watercolors. Also, the various effects are discussed.
- Solvent, solute – Solubility – Children must understand about solute and solvent to learn about solubility. Instead of orally explaining take these things to the class and make children witness solubility. The solvent is the liquid and solute is the material either a solid, liquid or a gas that will dissolve in a solvent. With markers, water, alcohol, and vinegar you can help children understand solubility. For more details Around the kampfire.
- Weight with paper chain – This experiment will teach kids about measuring liquids, weight management and how to make a strong paper chain. All you need is a bucket, measuring jar, and newspaper. Kids can experiment themselves. But you need to help them hold the bucket as it will become weight when water is added to it. For more details More than a worksheet.
- Now teach weather, storm with this simple experiment presented in the following sites. Preschool Powol Packets, Frogs and Fairies, Life Over Cs. Each one has their way of explaining and you must individually check them out.
- Look We Are Learning has demonstrated an easy experiment about heat conducting materials. Feel glad that you don’t need to spend a penny on these experiments as they are available at your home.
- It is now very easy to make clouds. Yes inside a glass or a jar. Wondering how? Follow the simple steps explained by There’s Just One Mommy and your done.
- Temperature and Thermometer – How does thermometer work? What is cold and hot? How to measure them? These questions can be answered easily with this experiment. Ask kids to place their hand into a bucket containing cold water. Not bare hand but with a ziplock. Likewise, let them try with gloves, etc and explain the changes they feel. For more details Third Grade Thinkers.
- Jelly experiments are fun always they are generally called as Jello in Canada and America. The Chaos and the Clutter have made this exciting idea and you can follow too.
- Light and refraction experiment at home with kids is a great way to teach them science. Don’t look for things outside your bag. Look, We’re Learning! Has taught this trick.
- How to bulb plants grow. Watch this Buggy and Buddy experiment. Enjoy witnessing the roots and the entire plant growth.
- Force and motion – Push and pull is all about motion and force. Let kids have fun with this marshmallow shooter and learn about force. Need a paper cup, balloon, and that’s all the experiment can start in a few minutes. For making marshmallow shooters click the link given below. For more details The teky teacher.
- Designing a floating Lego boat within no time has been made possible by JDaniel4’s Mom. Then you can also do it and also understand the duration it can float, its weight holding capacity, etc.
- This is a monster experiment and it inflates on its own. Sounds interesting? Check this Artsy Momma’s idea and rock this years Halloween party.
- The hot chocolate idea for this winter. Creative Family Fun has presented this food science and you can test variables as well as record results.
- Stop motion movie – You can now make your kid’s movie makers. Yes, believe it is possible with this stop motion movie making concept. This little is doing the same from scratch. You can follow that and educate your kids to try. It is not a one day work off course making a movie is not possible in just one day. So you can start today and train them as project work. For more details, Happiness is here.
- Find the density of all vegetables and fruits by following KC Edventures healthy experiment.
- NutureStore encourages kids to make rain gauge at home. It challenges that you can cross check the reading with the weather report.
- Using marshmallows now Artsy Momma and her toddler team has made constellation lesson easy by making some crafts.
- Balloon Rocket – This experiment will teach about how shape and size influence speed. Simply a thread, drinking straw, balloons of different shape and size must be used to construct this experiment. This can be made in no time and experimented indoor or outdoor. Let kids have all fun but learn about speed in lightning speed. For more details Kiwico.
- Mess for Less has posted an experiment where you need not mess with ice but pick them with string. Astonishing? Find out how and do them without fail.
- Every color disappears with Mess for Less bleach experiment. Beware go with old clothing to do this magical experiment.
- Balloon explaining the concept of pressure, CO2 – In this video, you can educate kids about pressure using a balloon. Next is to fill the balloon with baking soda and vinegar. The third experiment is to fill with water and check if it will pop when the flame is placed under it. Interesting concepts can be taught in an easy way. For more details Youtube 3 balloon experiments.
- Now making a tornado at home is simple. Can you imagine how gigantic a tornado will be? Try Planet Smarty way and Artsy Momma way.
- Again NutureStore has presented a creative experiment to make with ice. Yes, colorful ice art with salt.
- Making stethoscope at home is the first step to make your little one a doctor. Check the idea posted in Fantastic Fun and Learning.
- Rock lesson – With salt and water, it is now possible to make rocks. This lesson will teach about rock and its types. Fill a jar with water and add salt to it. Mix them and tie toothpick to string both ends and keep it on the jar. Salt crystals will form over time. For more details Science kids.
- Rhythms of Play make sundial drawing easy. Also, creating art with the shadow is easy now. This will help little ones to understand shadow and earth rotation.
- Drop Egg from any height it won’t break and it is an open challenge for kids. But that is also feasible with Buggy and Buddy egg drop experiment.
- A solar system with pony bead and they are melted by Schooling A Monkey. This will give an idea about planets and their sizes.
- How do tooth decays – Kids by this time will witness tooth fall and hence you can teach them about decay. The milk tooth falls down and permanent tooth grows. These need to be protected to prevent tooth decay. Do these experiments to educate kids about tooth decay. We know getting a real tooth is difficult. But you can ask kids to preserve fallen tooth to use for this experiment. Even animal bone can be used instead. For more details Science project.
- Ideas from Kids Minds about water and resistance. Try this with play dough and foil aluminum).
- Forensic at age 5? Yes, you can teach kids to find the fingerprints with this KC Edventures easy experiment.
- Tornado – The natural calamity – Just with a plastic bottle with lid, water, and dishwashing liquid you can now explain the occurring of tornado. Make use of glitters to make them look shiny and that will make kids feel excited.For more details Sciencing.
- Math Geek Mama has made seeing stars easy with the homemade telescope.
Want even EVEN more?
Check on our page where we have posted activities for 3-4 yrs kids which will suit for 5 to 6 years kids as well. Add some science to it and make it challenging for 5-6 yr elder kids. Allow them to think and make some strategy to work on these experiments. As they are older they can write some plan and document the reactions as well.
Again there is a page for 7 – 9 yrs kids and check them for more challenge and those intellectual kids can try them even if they are not 7 yrs old. But be with them and help them.
You can also check my pins in the Pinterest board under the name science activities for girls and get inspired with more ideas.
Feel free to let us know your suggestions for us. We will be happy to try out an experiment.
Each activity published on this page requires support from adults. Elders please make sure and decide which experiment is suitable for your kids based on their age and maturity. Click here for more information.